This bulbous perennial has striking reddish purple, strap-like leaves and foot-long purple flowers that resemble pineapples in late summer. Grow in a sunny border, container, or greenhouse. Plants used outdoors may be overwintered in a frost-free location. The species is native to South Africa.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsBurgundy foliage and purple, pineapple-like flowers.
CarePlant bulbs 6 inches deep in fertile, well-drained soil in full sun. Overwinter dormant bulbs in a frost-free place where not hardy.
PropagationSow seed at 61°F in spring or fall, or remove offsets in spring.
- Genus : Eucomis
- Plant Height : 1 to 3 feet
- Zones : 10, 11, 8, 9
- Plant Type : Bulbs
- Uses : Containers
- Light : Full Sun
- Bloom Time : Late Summer, Summer
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Growth Rate : Moderate
- Maintenance : Moderate
- Foliage Color : Purple/Burgundy
- Characteristics : Showy Foliage
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Summer Interest