Large, sometimes giant white flower heads reaching 6 to 18 inches long turn pinkish with age. ‘Grandiflora’ is a fast-growing shrub that can reach 25 feet tall. Hydrangea paniculata is one of the most cold-hardy species. It may be grown as a single-stemmed tree specimen or as a multi-stemmed shrub.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsFlowers are good for cutting and drying. These shrubs may be used for hedging.
CareGrow in moist, but well-drained soil, in sun to partial shade. Blooms on current season's wood; may be cut back to a few buds to form a framework in spring to produce larger flowers, or alternately, allow to grow with minimal pruning.
PropagationSow seed in a cold frame in spring; take softwood cuttings in early summer, hardwood cuttings in winter.
ProblemsGray mold, slugs, powdery mildew, rust, ringspot virus, leaf spots.
- Genus : Hydrangea
- Plant Width : 10 to 15 feet
- Plant Height : 15 to 30 feet
- Zones : 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
- Growth Rate : Fast
- Tolerance : Frost Tolerant
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Maintenance : Low
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Flower Color : Pink, White
- Characteristics : Showy Seed Heads
- Plant Type : Shrubs
- Bloom Time : Summer
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Summer Interest