‘Old Fashioned’ sports purple new growth, which fades to bluish green. In fall, the shrub lights up with any and every shade of red. Expect this cultivar to have a smaller habit than other smokebushes, generally maxing out around 6 feet tall and wide. It still gets the same puffs of early summer flowers.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsColorful foliage in three seasons; slightly more compact than other cultivars
CareYou can prune it back to the ground for better foliage. Because it blooms on old wood, however, this pruning will remove the flower buds. So you can skip the pruning, or prune just a fraction.
PropagationLayer low-lying branches to make more shrubs.
- Genus : Cotinus
- Zones : 5, 6, 7, 8
- Plant Width : 6 to 10 feet
- Plant Height : 6 to 10 feet
- Foliage Color : Bluish-green, Purple/Burgundy
- Characteristics : Deer Resistant, Showy Fall Foliage, Showy Foliage
- Tolerance : Deer Tolerant, Disease resistant
- Bloom Time : Early Summer
- Growth Rate : Fast
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Maintenance : Low
- Flower Color : Pink
- Moisture : Well-drained soil