This tropical palm grows to 35 feet tall and has stiff, feathery-textured fronds. In summer, it bears yellow flowers followed by fruit that ripens to bright red. It tolerates both alkaline soil and coastal conditions well.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsNative to the South Pacific island of Vanuatu, this palm can ornament gardens and patios. When small, it grows well in containers, and can be grown under glass in cooler climates.
CareProvide fertile, moist but well-drained soil in full sun. Indoors, provide a peat and sand-based soil mix in full sun; water and fertilize in spring and summer, sparingly in winter.
PropagationSow seed in spring at 75°F; it may take 2 months to germinate.
ProblemsSpider mites if grown indoors.
- Genus : Veitchia
- Zones : 10, 11, 9
- Plant Width : 10 to 15 feet
- Plant Height : 30 feet or more
- Uses : Containers
- Light : Full Sun
- Characteristics : Interesting Bark, Showy Foliage, Showy Fruit
- Bloom Time : Late Summer, Summer
- Maintenance : Low
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Growth Rate : Moderate
- Plant Type : Perennials
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Spring Interest
- Flower Color : Yellow