Showy sprays of pretty purple or white flowers in spring are followed by papery, flat seedpods that look like silver dollars. Flowers may attract butterflies.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsGreat plant for naturalizing in borders, woodlands, or wild gardens. Seed pods are excellent for dried flower arrangements.
CarePlants usually self-seed. Lunaria prefers a moist shady area.
PropagationDirect sow in early summer.
ProblemsClubroot, white blister, viruses, and leaf spot.
- Genus : Lunaria
- Plant Height : 1 to 3 feet
- Zones : 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
- Plant Width : 6 to 12 inches
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Growth Rate : Moderate
- Plant Type : Perennials
- Characteristics : Self Seeds, Showy Seed Heads
- Bloom Time : Spring
- Flower Color : White
Plant Characteristics are only available to Fine Gardening members
Sign up for a free trial and get instant access to our complete plant guide as well as our entire collection of articles and videos.