An iris with foliage as showy as its flowers, ‘Variegata’ has bright green leaves striped with yellow and beautiful soft blue flowers with yellow beards. This bearded iris reaches four feet high and spreads indefinitely. Use to edge a border or grow at waterside.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsGreen leaves with creamy yellow stripes. Fragrant blue flowers on tall stalks in spring and early summer.
CareSite in full sun or light shade and well-drained, fertile soil that is slightly acidic or neutral. Keep moist during the growing season.
PropagationDivide in midsummer, or start seeds in a cold frame in fall.
ProblemsIris borer, verbena bud moth, whiteflies, iris weevil, thrips, slugs, snails, aphids, nematodes, bacterial leaf blight, rots, leaf spot, rust, viruses, and scorch all may affect plants.
- Genus : Iris
- Zones : 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
- Plant Height : 3 to 6 feet
- Bloom Time : Early Summer, Late Spring, Spring, Summer
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Growth Rate : Moderate
- Maintenance : Moderate
- Plant Type : Perennials
- Characteristics : Showy Foliage
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Spring Interest