Honey bush has attractive, 12- to 20-inch-long pinnate leaves with sharply toothed silver-green leaflets. It bears spike-like racemes of oddly scented brownish crimson to brick-red flowers from late spring to midsummer.
CareGrow in fertile, moist but well-drained soil. Shelter from cold and wind, and protect from excessive winter moisture. Where not hardy, grow in a cold greenhouse and plant or stand outside in summer. Or treat as a perennial; it will resprout annually from the base where temperatures do not fall below 23°F.
PropagationRoot basal or softwood cuttings in late spring or early summer.
ProblemsSpider mites and whiteflies under glass.
- Genus : Melianthus
- Zones : 10, 11, 8, 9
- Plant Width : 3 to 6 feet
- Plant Height : 6 to 10 feet
- Uses : Containers
- Characteristics : Fragrant Flowers, Showy Foliage
- Light : Full Sun
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Flower Color : Red
- Plant Type : Shrubs
- Bloom Time : Spring, Summer
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Spring Interest