This cross of the European smoke bush (C. coggygria) and the American smoke tree (C. obovatus) is a gem in the garden thanks to its multiseason interest. Its iridescent spring foliage is green overlaid with red; then its large pink clouds of blooms in summer are followed by brilliant autumn foliage that ranges from red to orange. ‘Grace’ combines well with just about anything; asters, ornamental grasses, and Japanese maples are good places to start.
CareProvide full sun and well-drained soil.
ProblemsVerticillium wilt, powdery mildew.
- Genus : Cotinus
- Plant Height : 10 to 15 feet
- Plant Width : 10 to 15 feet
- Zones : 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
- Bloom Time : Early Summer, Summer
- Light : Full Sun
- Maintenance : Low
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Flower Color : Pink
- Foliage Color : Purple/Burgundy
- Characteristics : Showy Fall Foliage, Showy Foliage
- Plant Type : Shrubs
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Spring Interest
Plant Characteristics are only available to Fine Gardening members
Sign up for a free trial and get instant access to our complete plant guide as well as our entire collection of articles and videos.