An excellent chartreuse selection, ‘Amazon’ has ruffly leaves that glow after dusk. It doesn’t burn or streak in hot summer sun and has strong stems.
Want to make more of your coleus? Check out this article.
CareColeus are tender tropicals that are generally grown as annuals because they are hardy only in Zone 11. Provide full sun to part shade and moist but well-drained soil. Water freely in dry weather. Pinch back young plants to encourage bushiness. Flowering stalks may be removed to keep the focus on the foliage.
PropagationColeus are easy to grow from cuttings. Wait to put plants outdoors until spring nights remain above 50°F. See the link above for step-by-step instructions.
ProblemsColeus are generally unbothered by pests or diseases when grown outdoors, but watch for aphids, mealybugs, and spider mites indoors.
- Genus : Plectranthus
- Plant Height : 1 to 3 feet
- Plant Width : 1 to 3 feet
- Zones : 11
- Plant Type : Annuals, Perennials
- Foliage Color : Chartreuse
- Uses : Color, Containers, Foliage
- Characteristics : Deer Resistant, Showy Foliage
- Tolerance : Deer Tolerant
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Growth Rate : Moderate
- Maintenance : Moderate
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Spring Interest, Summer Interest
- Bloom Time : Summer
- Flower Color : White