Chinese holly is a round, evergreen shrub with glossy, spiny leaves and large red berries. It grows to about 15 feet tall and wide.
CareProvide full sun or part shade and moist but well-drained soil.
PropagationRoot semi-ripe cuttings in summer or early fall.
ProblemsAphids may eat young growth. Also watch for scale insects and leaf miners.
- Genus : Ilex
- Plant Height : 10 to 15 feet
- Plant Width : 10 to 15 feet
- Zones : 7, 8, 9
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Maintenance : Low
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Characteristics : Showy Foliage, Showy Fruit
- Plant Type : Shrubs
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Spring Interest
Plant Characteristics are only available to Fine Gardening members
Sign up for a free trial and get instant access to our complete plant guide as well as our entire collection of articles and videos.