This sedge’s pearly, straplike leaves resemble striped ribbon waiting to be wrapped around a package. It sports fuzzy green flowers with green stamens in late spring. Grow as an edging or groundcover.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsBright green and white foliage. Sometimes late to emerge in spring.
CareFull sun (with adequate moisture) or part shade. Grows best in damp soil and shade, but can take wetter soil and more sun.
PropagationSow seed in containers and overwinter in a cold frame. Divide between spring and early summer.
ProblemsRust, smut, and leaf spot. Aphids are possible.
- Genus : Carex
- Plant Width : 1 to 3 feet
- Zones : 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
- Plant Height : 6 to 12 inches
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Flower Color : Green
- Bloom Time : Late Spring, Spring
- Moisture : Medium to Wet
- Characteristics : Showy Foliage
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Spring Interest