Black chokeberry is a medium-size shrub with multiple seasons of interest. Starting with showy clusters of white flowers in early summer, followed by dark purple fruits greatly appreciated by robins, this adaptable shrub closes the growing season with beautiful, wine red fall foliage. Black chokeberry is most effective when massed in the landscape and allowed to follow its natural tendency to spread by suckering.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsShowy flowers; purple fruit that attracts birds; red fall color. U.S. native.
CareProvide full sun to partial shade and most any soil. Best fruit production occurs in full sun.
PropagationRoot softwood cuttings in early summer, or sow seed in a seedbed in fall.
- Genus : Aronia
- Zones : 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
- Plant Height : 3 to 6 feet
- Plant Width : 6 to 10 feet
- Moisture : Adaptable
- Bloom Time : Early Summer, Summer
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Maintenance : Low
- Characteristics : Showy Fall Foliage, Showy Fruit
- Plant Type : Shrubs
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Summer Interest
- Flower Color : White