This sedge is one of the most adaptable of the ground-cover grasses. Its ability to look the same in sun or shade makes it a valuable asset in plantings that go in and out of full sun. Berkeley sedge is a good solution for areas under stress where lawn grasses often fail. The flowers are not particularly noteworthy.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsTolerates foot traffic and the occasional mowing.
CareBerkeley sedge is very adaptable and can grow in full sun to full shade and most any soil.
PropagationDivide in early spring.
- Genus : Carex
- Plant Height : 1 to 3 feet
- Plant Width : 1 to 3 feet
- Zones : 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
- Moisture : Adaptable
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Plant Type : Grasses
- Uses : Ground Covers
- Maintenance : Low
- Characteristics : Showy Foliage
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Summer Interest