Semi-erect, narrowly ovate leaves 7-10 inches long appear in spring and disappear by summer, followed by large, fully double, rosy lilac flowers resembling the blooms of a waterlily.
CareGrow in full sun in deep, well-drained soil that is not too dry. Will form a dense clump over a couple of years.
PropagationSeparate corms when dormant in summer.
ProblemsGray mold (Botrytis) and slugs.
- Genus : Colchicum
- Zones : 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
- Characteristics : Attracts Pollinators
- Plant Type : Bulbs, Perennials
- Uses : Color, Dry areas, Front Yard, Rock garden, Small Spaces, Sun
- Moisture : Dry to Medium
- Bloom Time : Fall
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Fall Interest
- Light : Full Sun
- Foliage Color : Green
- Maintenance : Low
- Growth Rate : Moderate
- Flower Color : Pink, Red
- Plant Height : Under 6 inches
Plant Characteristics are only available to Fine Gardening members
Sign up for a free trial and get instant access to our complete plant guide as well as our entire collection of articles and videos.