This hybrid produces vivid deep purple-pink fruit from late summer on. It forms a thicket (which may be sheared) 3 to 5 feet high and wide.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsAmethyst coralberry has persistent, opaque berries that attract birds and flowers that attract bees.
CareGrow in average, well-drained soil in full sun to partial shade. After flowering, cut back flowering stems to strong buds and remove one-third to one-fifth of the oldest branches to the base. Alternately, prune only to maintain a healthy framework.
PropagationDivide suckers in fall; take softwood cuttings in summer or hardwood cuttings in late fall.
ProblemsAnthracnose, powdery mildew.
- Genus : Symphoricarpos
- Plant Height : 3 to 6 feet
- Plant Width : 3 to 6 feet
- Zones : 4, 5, 6, 7
- Tolerance : Drought Tolerant
- Moisture : Dry to Medium
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Flower Color : Green, White
- Maintenance : Low
- Growth Rate : Moderate
- Characteristics : Self Seeds, Showy Fruit
- Plant Type : Shrubs
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Spring Interest
- Bloom Time : Summer