This New Zealand flax has dark reddish brown leaves that form a neat clump less than 2 feet tall and about as wide. It makes a great container plant.
CareGrow in full sun or part shade. Keep soil consistently moist. Where not hardy, move indoors to a cool, sunny location before the first frost, if desired.
PropagationStart seed, or divide in spring.
ProblemsLeaf spots, slugs, mealybugs.
- Genus : Phormium
- Plant Height : 1 to 3 feet
- Plant Width : 1 to 3 feet
- Zones : 10, 11, 8, 9
- Uses : Containers
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Maintenance : Low
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Plant Type : Perennials
- Foliage Color : Purple/Burgundy
- Characteristics : Showy Foliage
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Summer Interest
Plant Characteristics are only available to Fine Gardening members
Sign up for a free trial and get instant access to our complete plant guide as well as our entire collection of articles and videos.