This cultivar of the eastern North American native Joe Pye weed is shorter and bushier than the species. From late summer into fall, its domes of dusky pink flowers attract butterflies and other insects. The seedheads persist well into winter. Grow ‘Gateway’ in a border, meadow, or cottage garden. It does best in soil that does not dry out.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsThe blooms attract butterflies and are good cut flowers.
CareProvide full sun to light shade and moist, humusy soil that does not dry out.
- Genus : Eupatorium
- Zones : 10, 11, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
- Plant Height : 3 to 6 feet
- Plant Width : 3 to 6 feet
- Tolerance : Drought Tolerant
- Bloom Time : Early Fall, Late Summer, Summer
- Growth Rate : Fast
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Maintenance : Low
- Moisture : Medium to Wet
- Plant Type : Perennials
- Flower Color : Pink
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Summer Interest