‘Pia’ is a dwarf Hortensia (or “mophead”), with globe-shaped flower heads made up of deep rose, 4-inch-wide flowers.
CareGrow in moist, but well-drained soil, in sun to partial shade. Provide shelter from drying winds. 'Pia' flowers on the previous season's wood. It can be maintained by cutting back just to the first pair of buds beneath the old flower in spring.
PropagationSow seed in a cold frame in spring; take softwood cuttings in early summer, hardwood cuttings in winter.
ProblemsGray mold, slugs, powdery mildew, rust, ringspot virus, leaf spots.
- Genus : Hydrangea
- Plant Height : 1 to 3 feet
- Plant Width : 1 to 3 feet
- Zones : 6, 7, 8, 9
- Uses : Containers
- Tolerance : Frost Tolerant
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Maintenance : Low
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Growth Rate : Moderate
- Flower Color : Red
- Characteristics : Showy Seed Heads
- Plant Type : Shrubs
- Bloom Time : Summer
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Summer Interest