Need to perk up your home for the holidays? Learn how to easily and cheaply make a boxwood tree. These trees can sell for $60 and more at floral shops, but they aren’t hard to make, especially if you have your own live boxwood trees on your property. Boxwood branches are also easily attainable from your local florist, but you will have to pay for them. Read the steps below and follow along with senior editor Danielle Sherry as she demonstrates how to make your own holiday boxwood tree. The whole process takes maybe 30 minutes, and the result is a wonderful gift!
How to Make a Holiday Boxwood Tree
- Oasis block (purchase from Amazon or your local craft store)
- Boxwood branches, cut about 6 inches long
- Rosehip branches, cut about 6 inches long
- Watering can
1. Soak a Styrofoam block in water.
2. Place it in the vase. It should fit snugly.
3. Sculpt your block. Remove the top corners, and round it into a vague cone shape that is gently pointed at the top and that slopes out to the full width, where it meets the vase.
4. Add a boxwood branch at the top to give your eye a guide for how the boxwood should be placed, then begin adding branches at the bottom and all the way around the Styrofoam block until you form your tree. It should be bushy looking and symmetrical.
5. Place your rosehip branches at natural intervals around the tree.
6. Water the tree periodically so that the block stays wet. This will ensure that it looks green and healthy for the duration of the season.
Let us know if you have questions by emailing [email protected], and make sure to email us your pictures if you make your own boxwood tree this holiday season!
Get our latest tips, how-to articles, and instructional videos sent to your inbox.