As the growing season winds down, are you tempted to “throw in the trowel” and leave your vegetable garden cleanup until next spring? In the October 2020 issue of Fine Gardening magazine, Nancy Ondra, a trained horticulturist with years of gardening experience, describes the advantages of taking care of a few key tasks before winter sets in. Here are a few of her tips to get you started:
- Gather tomato cages, plant supports, and hoses. Clean them up, and store them in a sheltered spot.
- Organize storage areas, using racks or well-placed nails to get items up off the floor
- Keep weeding, giving priority to larger plants that are going to seed.
- Clean up garden debris, especially if plants have had disease or pest problems.
- Start some cover crops. You will be amazed how much better your soil will look next spring!
For the full article, click here.