Much of the South and Southeast are abnormally dry. Some areas are even now in the category of official drought. I have been desperate to get a few trees planted but want to wait for the possibility of rain. Where I live in Tennessee, October is historically our driest month -so more dry weather could be around the corner.
Here are some late fall drought tips:
1. Don’t encourage growth. – no fertilizing, no pruning
2. Removing weeds reduces competition for resources
3. Mulch to conserve water – Keep mulch 6″ from the base of trunks
4. Consider allowing your lawn to go dormant
5. Concentrate on deep, infrequent waterings
What other tips do you have?