Here are the steps you need to take in order to keep weeds at bay:
1. Let sleeping seeds lie. Digging and cultivating brings weed seeds to the surface.
2. Mulch. Don’t give weeds the chance to see light.
3. Weed early and often. Young weeds go down easier than older ones.
4. Chop off their heads. If you can’t yank ’em out, then deadhead them before they go to seed.
5. Space your plants close together. Planting tightly shades the soil between emerging weeds. You know what this means: you’re just going to have to buy more plants.
6. Water your plants, not your weeds. Do we need to explain this one?
Get our latest tips, how-to articles, and instructional videos sent to your inbox.