This outstanding annual or perennial deserves its popularity. It makes an architectural statement with slender, willowy stems that stand up to 6 feet tall and do not need staking. It then branches out widely near the top where rich lilac-purple flower clusters stand alone, as if they are floating. This Verbena makes a great see-through plant.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsThis genus originates from South America, occurring in open, sunny sites. The flowers are long-blooming. Verbenas are excellent for annual borders and mixed herbaceous borders.
CareProvide moist, well-drained soil in full sun.
PropagationSow seed in autumn or early spring at 64-70°F. Divide in spring or take cuttings anytime.
ProblemsWhiteflies, aphids, slugs, snails, scale insects, spider mites, powdery mildew, Septoria leaf spot, rust.
- Genus : Verbena
- Plant Width : 1 to 3 feet
- Zones : 10, 7, 8, 9
- Plant Height : 3 to 6 feet
- Tolerance : Drought Tolerant, Frost Tolerant
- Bloom Time : Early Fall, Late Summer, Summer
- Growth Rate : Fast
- Light : Full Sun
- Maintenance : Low
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Plant Type : Perennials
- Characteristics : Self Seeds
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Summer Interest