This foxglove has long-lasting flowers in seductive shades of burnt umber. Its glossy, linear leaves are evergreen in mild climates, but turn brown in colder climates.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsLong-lasting blossoms in colors of the sunset.
CareD. obscura does well in both full sun with dry conditions and also in moister, shadier sites. Avoid very wet or very dry soil.
PropagationSow seed in situ or in a cold frame in spring; take cuttings in summer.
ProblemsFairly trouble-free, but watch out for southern blight, anthracnose, and fungal leaf spots.
- Genus : Digitalis
- Plant Height : 1 to 3 feet
- Plant Width : 1 to 3 feet
- Zones : 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
- Characteristics : Attracts Hummingbirds, Self Seeds
- Tolerance : Drought Tolerant, Frost Tolerant
- Bloom Time : Early Summer, Late Spring, Spring, Summer
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Maintenance : Low
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Growth Rate : Moderate
- Plant Type : Perennials
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Spring Interest