This plant is as dependable and adaptable as they come. Its flowers bloom from August into November; they open pink and mature to a copper befitting of autumn. It is 2 feet tall and wide, with succulent stems and leaves. 'Autumn Joy' looks great with ornamental grasses.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsThe long-blooming flowers change from deep pink to copper. Attracts butterflies.
CareSedum prefers moderately fertile, moist soil in full sun, but can take it drier. 'Autumn Joy' can be tip pruned at 6 to 8 inches to shorten the plant, but this will also delay flowering.
PropagationTake softwood cuttings or root leaves in early summer. Start seed of hardy species in fall. Divide in spring.
ProblemsFairly trouble free, but watch for mealybugs, scale insects, slugs, and snails, as well as bigger critters, including deer.
- Genus : Sedum
- Plant Height : 1 to 3 feet
- Plant Width : 1 to 3 feet
- Zones : 10, 11, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
- Bloom Time : Early Fall, Fall, Late Summer, Summer
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Maintenance : Low
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Growth Rate : Moderate
- Plant Type : Perennials
- Flower Color : Pink, Red
- Characteristics : Showy Seed Heads
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Summer Interest