A bushy shrub from Eduador and Peru with sturdy, bright green or purple stems and large, dark green leaves displaying light-colored ribs and veins. Tubular yellow flowers are borne in terminal spikes in summer. Grow in a greenhouse or as a summer annual outdoors.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsLeaves are variegated with yellow, ivory, or white midribs and veins. May be overwintered indoors.
CareOutdoors, grow in full sun with some midday shade or in light, dappled shade. Needs moderately fertile, humus-rich, moist but well-drained soil. Plants can be overwintered indoors in a warm, bright area. Under glass, grow in bright filtered or full light with shade from hot sun. Water sparingly in winter.
PropagationUsing gentle bottom heat, root softwood cuttings in spring or semi-ripe cuttings in summer.
ProblemsSpider mites, scale insects.
- Plant Height : 3 to 6 feet
- Plant Width : 3 to 6 feet
- Bloom Time : Early Summer, Late Summer, Summer
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Growth Rate : Moderate
- Maintenance : Moderate
- Characteristics : Showy Foliage
- Plant Type : Shrubs
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Summer Interest
- Flower Color : Yellow