This evergreen species makes a handsome specimen with narrow, arching foliage that is streaked orange in summer and becomes orange-brown in winter. Its fine, pendent flower inflorescences open purplish-green in midsummer and have a misty quality.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsGood dried flower.
CareGrow in moderately fertile, well-drained soil in full sun. Remove the old foliage of evergreen species in early spring.
PropagationSow seed in a cold frame in spring; divide from midspring to early summer.
ProblemsDamping off, rust, smut, brown patch, brown stripe, eye spot.
- Genus : Stipa
- Plant Height : 1 to 3 feet
- Zones : 10, 8, 9
- Plant Width : 3 to 6 feet
- Moisture : Adaptable
- Tolerance : Deer Tolerant, Drought Tolerant, Frost Tolerant
- Light : Full Sun
- Plant Type : Grasses
- Flower Color : Green
- Maintenance : Low
- Growth Rate : Moderate
- Characteristics : Self Seeds, Showy Foliage, Showy Seed Heads
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Spring Interest
- Bloom Time : Summer