This vigorous shrub hugs the ground (to 2 feet tall) and spreads out to 8 feet, making it an excellent choice for stablizing a bank or smothering weeds. It has small yellow flowers, hairy red fruits, and glossy leaves that change to gorgeous orange-red in autumn.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsBeautiful fall color; fast, compact growth.
CareGrow in average, moist but well-drained soil in full sun (for best fall color).
PropagationDivide suckers when dormant or sow seed in autumn. Take semi-ripe cuttings in summer or root cuttings in winter.
ProblemsPowdery mildew, wood rot, Verticillium wilt, leaf spot, blister, canker, dieback, caterpillars, scale.
- Genus : Rhus
- Plant Height : 1 to 3 feet
- Zones : 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
- Plant Width : 6 to 10 feet
- Tolerance : Deer Tolerant, Drought Tolerant, Frost Tolerant
- Moisture : Dry to Medium
- Growth Rate : Fast
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Uses : Ground Covers
- Maintenance : Low
- Characteristics : Showy Fall Foliage, Showy Fruit, Showy Seed Heads
- Plant Type : Shrubs
- Bloom Time : Spring
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Spring Interest
- Flower Color : Yellow