This clump-forming variety has exquisitely textured, bright green maple-like leaves emblazoned with chocolate centers. In spring, its large pink-kissed-white flowers rebloom lightly on 16-inch stalks. Leaf coloration is best in cool weather. Plants grow to about a foot wide.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsTiarellas are at home in moist woodland environments. In the garden they make wonderful carpets of intricate leaves. For a long period from spring into summer, the profusion of foamy flowers can be appreciated up close or from a distance. Grow 'Neon Lights' as a groundcover or edger in a shady border or woodland garden. It is a great foil to early spring bulbs.
CareProvide moist, rich soil in part to full shade.
PropagationDivide the rhizomes in spring
ProblemsRust, powdery mildew, slugs, weevils.
- Genus : Tiarella
- Plant Height : 1 to 3 feet
- Zones : 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
- Plant Width : 6 to 12 inches
- Moisture : Adaptable
- Bloom Time : Early Spring, Late Spring, Spring
- Uses : Ground Covers, Shade
- Maintenance : Low
- Growth Rate : Moderate
- Light : Partial Shade to Full Shade
- Plant Type : Perennials
- Flower Color : Pink, White
- Foliage Color : Purple/Burgundy
- Characteristics : Showy Foliage
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Spring Interest