This plant is noted for its beautiful bronze fall foliage. Its leaves are rounded to heart-shaped and sometimes puckered, growing to about 12 inches. It bears pink to rose-red flowers on red stalks in late winter to early spring.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsUseful in woodland or shady beds.
PropagationDivide clumps or root rhizomes in spring or autumn every 3 to 5 years. Root young rhizomes in sand or in soil.
ProblemsSometimes affected by fungal leaf spot and rhizome rot. Weevils, slugs, snails, caterpillars and foliar nematodes.
- Genus : Bergenia
- Plant Height : 1 to 3 feet
- Plant Width : 1 to 3 feet
- Zones : 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
- Bloom Time : Early Spring, Late Winter, Spring, Winter
- Maintenance : Low
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Light : Partial Shade to Full Shade
- Plant Type : Perennials
- Flower Color : Pink, Red
- Uses : Shade
- Characteristics : Showy Foliage
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Spring Interest