‘Stained Glass’ is simply stunning. Ruby red leaves are rimmed in pewter with dark veining at the center and a rosy underside. This Rex begonia goes well with pink plants or flowers. -Rita Randolph, Rex begonias, Fine Gardening issue #120
CareProvide organic, sharp-draining soil in shade with lots of humidity. Water when soil is dry to the touch. Avoid soggy conditions, but do not allow plants to wilt. Do not fertilize heavily. Remove dead leaves promptly and keep the soil surface free of debris to avoid disease problems.
PropagationLeaf cuttings can take up to 6 months to produce new plants, but stem cuttings typically root in about 3 weeks in favorable conditions.
ProblemsMildew, Botrytis, mealybugs.
- Genus : Begonia
- Zones : 10, 11
- Plant Height : 6 to 12 inches
- Plant Width : 6 to 12 inches
- Uses : Containers
- Maintenance : Low
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Light : Partial Shade to Full Shade
- Plant Type : Perennials
- Foliage Color : Purple/Burgundy
- Characteristics : Showy Foliage
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Spring Interest