Unlike other Rex begonias, ‘River Nile’ isn’t flashy. Its charm comes from the leaves, which are green and ruffled, with a deep bronze edging. -Rita Randolph, Rex begonias, Fine Gardening issue #120
CareProvide organic, sharp-draining soil in shade with lots of humidity. Water when soil is dry to the touch. Avoid soggy conditions, but do not allow plants to wilt. Do not fertilize heavily. Remove dead leaves promptly and keep the soil surface free of debris to avoid disease problems.
PropagationStem cuttings typically root in about three weeks under favorable conditions.
ProblemsMildew, botrytis, mealybugs.
- Genus : Begonia
- Zones : 10, 11
- Plant Height : 6 to 12 inches
- Plant Width : 6 to 12 inches
- Uses : Containers
- Maintenance : Low
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Light : Partial Shade to Full Shade
- Plant Type : Perennials
- Characteristics : Showy Foliage
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Summer Interest