Although it’s valued for its autumn blossoms, ‘Lady in Black’ creates a stir from the moment its dusky purple leaves unfurl in spring. By summer’s end, thousands of tiny dark buds dot the densely branched 3-foot-tall plant, promising an explosion of color.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsDusky-purple leaves make this a long-season highlight. Attracts butterflies.
CarePrefers full sun and moist but well-drained soil. Pinch stems back in early summer if bushier plants are desired. Tolerates light shade.
PropagationDivides well in autumn. Most asters require frequent division.
ProblemsAsters are sometimes plagued by fungal diseases. The most common are wilt disease, powdery mildew, and botrytis.
- Genus : Aster
- Plant Height : 1 to 3 feet
- Plant Width : 1 to 3 feet
- Zones : 6, 7, 8
- Bloom Time : Fall, Summer
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Maintenance : Low
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Plant Type : Perennials
- Characteristics : Showy Foliage
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Spring Interest