This low-key, trustworthy shrub is perfect for the back of the border, where its dense form will create a nice backdrop for showier summer plants. Come fall, however, it stands out with deep burgundy foliage and large, bright red berries. Birds don’t like the fruit, so the berries often persist well into winter. ‘Bailey Compact’ is a dwarf version of this normally 20-foot-tall shrub.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsShowy fall color and long-lasting fruit. Compact growth.
CareProvide full sun to partial shade and average soil.
- Genus : Viburnum
- Zones : 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
- Plant Height : 3 to 6 feet
- Plant Width : 3 to 6 feet
- Bloom Time : Early Spring, Late Spring, Spring
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Fall Interest
- Light : Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Maintenance : Low
- Moisture : Medium Moisture
- Characteristics : Showy Fall Foliage, Showy Fruit
- Plant Type : Shrubs
- Flower Color : White