This clumping, blue-green foliaged grass has amethyst-pink flowers that create fluffy, 8- to 12-inch-long plumes throughout the summer. Eventually, the flowers mature to the color of root beer foam. It is heat and drought tolerant, and it makes a fine annual in colder climates. Excellent drainage will help it thrive in humid summer climates. Not invasive from seed, ruby grass works great grown singly in pots or in groups.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsFluffy purplish pink flowers bloom for many weeks in summer.
CareProvide full sun. It is tolerant of a wide variety of soils.
PropagationDivide or start from seed.
- Plant Height : 1 to 3 feet
- Plant Width : 1 to 3 feet
- Zones : 10, 11, 8, 9
- Moisture : Adaptable
- Uses : Containers
- Tolerance : Drought Tolerant
- Bloom Time : Early Summer, Late Summer, Summer
- Light : Full Sun
- Plant Type : Grasses
- Maintenance : Low
- Flower Color : Pink
- Characteristics : Showy Foliage
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Summer Interest