This stunning grass has 1- to 3-foot-long, densely tufted plumes atop tall, upright stalks and arching mid-green leaves. Plumes come in white, cream, or beige-pink and appear in late summer.
Noteworthy CharacteristicsLeaves can have sharp edges. Dwarf cultivars exist.
CareGrow in full sun and well-drained soil, and give plants plenty of room. Protect crowns of young plants in winter.
PropagationDivide in spring.
ProblemsHelminthosporium leaf spots are common.
- Genus : Cortaderia
- Zones : 10, 11, 7, 8, 9
- Plant Width : 3 to 6 feet
- Plant Height : 6 to 10 feet
- Moisture : Dry to Medium
- Light : Full Sun
- Plant Type : Grasses
- Bloom Time : Late Summer, Summer
- Flower Color : Pink, White
- Characteristics : Showy Seed Heads
- Plant Seasonal Interest : Summer Interest